Friday 8 July 2011

Pitti Filati: outside in



I have just got back from three days in Florence, at Pitti Filati. For the uninitiated, Pitti Filati is THE main yarn trade fair, held twice a year in a crumbling fort in the north of the city. This was my first visit, both to the show and to Florence and it was an amazing insight into the industry and, of course, great fun getting a bit of culture in.

I wanted to blog 'live from the scene', but for some reason I struggled to get a successful Wi-Fi connection anywhere in the city! So now I'm back, I'm going to give you a few of my highlights.

One of the first things I encountered when I arrived at the show on Tuesday afternoon was the New Mill stand. While they didn't have any suitable yarns for me to look at I absolutely loved their display. I've re-discovered a bit of a lost passion for gardening this summer so I thought it was pretty cool that New Mill had stacks of knitwear hanging between pots bursting with luscious herbs and other foliage.

Gardening and the outdoors was a bit of a theme: another stand having a bit of fun with plants and knits was Lane Cardate, with their chunky knitted pot holders and yummy looking herbs. In addition to those, the chill out area was covered in fake grass, with cut outs of sheep to keep you company and birdsong playing through hidden speakers. The free glasses of bubbly being handed out were pretty nice, too...

No comments:

Post a Comment