Tuesday 25 September 2012

WSP Future Cities: how the Energy piece came to be

As I said in yesterday's post, I want to give you a bit of background on how each of my pieces for WSP came about.

While researching this piece, I looked at all of the different ways the word 'energy' can be interpreted, from fuel (in all it's forms) and power, to human energy and movement. 

While trawling through all of the images I had accumulated, I was most drawn to the silhouette of a contemporary dancer - the energy and grace was so apparent it was almost coming off the page. I knew therefore that the Energy piece had to be form-fitting so that you could see the lines of the body.

A couple of weeks later I was in a cafe where they had one of those '70s inspired beaded curtains hanging in a doorway. It was moving in the breeze and looked so graceful. Thus, the fringed 'cape' was born!  I knew it would look great swinging around the model's body as she walked down the runway, so from there I decided to keep the rest of the piece incredibly simple - I knitted a bikini with clean lines that complimented the cape (and protected the model's modesty!) without detracting from it.  I then trimmed everything in a neon yellow to give it some 'pop', as a nod to electric energy.





No comments:

Post a Comment